Vintage Fisher Price Play Family
#938 Sesame St. House
EXC++-NEAR MINT/ (O)
Here is a CLASSIC Fisher Price Little People #938 Sesame Street House for your inspection! Manufactured between 1975-76, this play set is getting harder and harder to find, especially in this condition (EXC++--NEAR MINT). I've painstakingly scoured the United States to assemble this "TREASURE." This particular offering is 99% COMPLETE! The only thing missing is the RARE Fisher Price eraser. To help compensate for this omission, I've included a couple of extra Fisher Price accessories.
The plastic handle, locking mechanism, and the rest of the plastic roof and base are completely intact. Upon close scrutiny, I can spy the following "imperfections" on this plastic base:
1. A few, light scuffs and minor surface scratches on the middle part of the roof above Mr. Hooper's Store; I believe the surface scratches and possibly the scuff will become less visible with an application of Armor All and a gentle buffing;
2. Some darkening of the bolts on the roof and those anchoring the white, plastic handle; I may be able to alleviate some of this discoloration by applying a generous application of Naval Jelly; however, I am not sure whether this will entirely correct the situation;
3. Some mild-moderate soiling and a few extraneous marks; I believe this soiling and marks will be eradicated during the cleaning process; and
4. Some darkening and a tad amount of rust on the screws on the underneath side of the base; I am not going to mess with these as they are not visible while the set is on display or in play.
All of the plastic surfaces are devoid of any chips, "dings," breaks, cracks, discolorations, or fading. They're in wonderful shape (EXC++-NR MINT). It's unbelievable that this base is 40 years young!
The EXTERIOR lithos are in wonderful condition! After closely examining this piece, I can ONLY find the following:
1. Some minor darkening of the main Fisher Price litho due to age;
2. One, hair-line vertical crease over the "S" in "Fisher" along with a 1/16" in diameter bubble near the top of the same litho;
3. Some minor edge wear on the left-hand door litho on the green half of the Sesame St. House;
4. Three minor bubbles on the scroll work above the blue and white awning over Mr. Hooper's Store; and
5. Three scratches on the tire-swing litho; one of these is @ 1/2" L near the top right side of the litho; the other two scratches are located under the lower set of green steps; both of these are @1" L; none of these scratches really jump out at you since the litho already has a "weathered look;" in fact, I didn't even notice these until I was doing my final pass over all the lithos before listing this set.
I'm being super "nit-picky" in my description of these "imperfections." I do not want to disappoint any of my customers. Many sellers would not even note some of these "flaws." In general, I would categorize these EXTERIOR lithos as being in EXC-EXC++ condition.
The INTERIOR WALL and FLOOR lithos are likewise in wonderful condition (EXC-EXC++)!! Specifically, ALL of the INTERIOR WALL lithos, except the kitchen litho, are in EXC++-NEAR MINT condition. They are generally free of any marks, rubs, bubbles, creases, stains, punctures, fading etc. The kitchen litho has some light staining on the bottom of the refrigerator litho. I do not know if I will be able to "feather" out this light water stain during the cleaning process. There is also a 1/4" L x 1/8" W faint, light brown mark on the opposite kitchen wall (e.g. below and to the left of the clock litho). I believe this barely discernible mark will come off during the cleaning process. The floor lithos in the kitchen and bedroom are similarly sublime (EXC++). After repeated inspections, the only "imperfections" I can find on these INTERIOR FLOOR lithos are:
1. Some light soiling and two, light green crayon marks on the far left hand side of the floor litho in Mr. Hooper's Store; I'm optimistic I'll be able to remove these with careful cleaning;
2. Three, narrow bubbles on the living room floor and rug litho; I found a couple of these via touch; the largest of these is 3/8" L x 1/8" W; two of these have resulted in rubs; the other is virtually invisible; and
3. Three faint rubs in addition to the ones cited above; these are also on the living room floor litho.
NOTE: These are the original lithos. I do not use reproduction lithos in my sets unless there is major damage on a given litho and only with the permission of the new owner. In the latter case, I offer the buyer a replacement litho free of charge. I then leave it up to the new owner to attach the reproduction litho. I do not believe any of these original lithos warrants a replacement litho.
The painted edges of this piece evidence some minor paint loss, especially on the green borders of Mr. Hooper's Store. This is most prominent on the outside and inner edges of the green border on the first floor of Mr. Hooper's Store. Most of these play sets exhibit a significant amount of paint loss on both sides of the wooden walls that meet in the middle. Some even manifest some cracking within the masonite trim. This one DOES NOT show any signs of cracking.
The chalkboard is in EXC++--NEAR MINT condition. Once I clean off the residual chalk marks, this chalkboard will warrant a NEAR MINT-MINT rating.
This adorable play set comes with all of the following pieces:
1 RARE gold Bert bed without its original foam (VG+--if this bed possessed all of its original foam, then it would warrant an EXC rating; since the residual foam on this bed evidenced dry rot, I removed it and replaced it with a firm, tan foam mattress; given the insertion of this new foam, I have elevated my ranking of this bed to an EXC++-NEAR MINT rating; I will not be gluing this mattress in place in case the new owner wishes to remove it);
1 RARE gold Ernie bed without its original foam (VG+--likewise, if this bed contained all of its original foam, then it would garner an EXC rating; as stated above, I have removed this deteriorating foam and replaced it with a firm, tan foam mattress; in my opinion, this bed with the new mattress garners an EXC++-NEAR MINT ranking);
1 HTF lunch counter (MINTY MINT);
1 HTF news stand (MINTY MINT);
1 VHTF Sesame St. lamp post and sign (NEAR MINT-MINT);
1 HTF gold table with pork chop litho (MINT--litho fully intact, brightly colored, and smoothly attached to the plastic surface);
1 VHTF brown Grover TV (NEAR MINT);
1 VHTF brown nest for Big Bird (NEAR MINT);
1 RARE brown coffee table (EXC++- some light scratches on top of table);
1 VHTF red fire hydrant on gray base (NEAR MINT):
2 HTF gold captain's chairs with dots on the back of the chairs; (EXC++-- NOTE: Chairs with a dot on the back were the first chairs that Fisher Price produced);
1 HTF green and white Sesame St. Sanitation Truck with Fisher Price written on wheels (EXC++);
1 VHTF blue mailbox with litho (EXC--litho is intact with minor edge wear);
1 RARE Sesame St. ladder (NEAR MINT).
This set also contains all of the beloved Sesame Street Little People characters in EXC++-- MINT condition:
1 HTF Gordon;
1 HTF Susan;
1 HTF Mr. Hooper;
1 HTF Cookie Monster;
1 HTF Bert;
1 HTF Big Bird;
1 HTF Ernie; and
1 VHTF Oscar in trash can.
Sesame St. characters of this quality (e.g. Ernie, Bert, Susan, Gordon, Big Bird, Mr. Hooper, Cookie Monster, Oscar the Grouch) can easily command up to $60-80.00 on the internet. I've done all the work for you. I've also paired these figures with the best accessories I could find.
Since taking these photos, I have acquired and inserted the following accessories that originally accompanied this set:
1 VHTF brown couch;
1 RARE box of original, unused FP chalk (MINT: Note: all 3 pieces are in UNUSED CONDITION and UNBROKEN; box is in MINT condition).
To help compensate for the missing FP eraser, I've also included two pieces of furniture not original to this set:
2 VHTF brown stuffed chairs (MINT).
You'll see many sets out there but they are NOT configured according to the original Fisher Price specifications. Please see www.thisoldtoy.com for additional information. For example, two of the living areas (e.g. Ernie & Bert's bedroom, the kitchen, Big Bird's bedroom) are supposed to be the same color (e.g. all gold or all brown) with the other room being the alternate color. Many sets being offered on other e-commerce sites ignore these conventions and use all kinds of color combinations or furniture that did not originally come with this set-- thereby camouflaging the original pieces that are missing.
I've tried to be as comprehensive in my description as possible. I've also included numerous photos for this FANTASTIC play set---one ANY rabid Fisher Price COLLECTOR WOULD COVET AND/OR FOR SOME LUCKY CHILD.
I will be thoroughly Q-tip cleaning this set using a variety of cleaning products (e.g. Dawn, Goo Gone, Soft Scrub, Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser, Crayon Away, Armor All wipes etc.) along with a child's toothbrush, toothpicks, and Q-tips. I spend anywhere between 1 1/2 - 5 hrs. cleaning EACH AND EVERY VINTAGE Fisher Price Little People play set that I sell except those that are clearly marked as being in My Rough Room. My sets are IMMACULATE! All you need to do is unpack the set and set it up for display or play.
Remember, this Vintage Fisher Price Little People play set is NOT included in the recent Fisher Price recall of toys manufactured in China. This play set was manufactured in the good ole' U.S.A. in 1975-76!!!! It's 41 years young and still exemplifies Fisher Price's reputation for imaginative, durable toys. Why take a chance on buying a new toy that may contain unacceptable levels of lead or cadium in them when you can purchase a CLASSIC toy like this that was produced with pride and integrity in the U.S.A.?
Purchasers should refrain from allowing children under 3 years of age to play with these toys without adult supervision or to offer these toys to children who may be still mouthing their toys.
This particular base is HEAVY (approximately 6 1/2 lbs. UNWRAPPED). My zip code is 47905 (INDIANA).
I've been finding that Fed Ex Home Delivery is running up to 33% cheaper than the USPS or UPS ground for larger, heavier packages or those traveling longer distances. To ship Fed Ex, I need a residential, not a P.O. Box, plus a contact phone number (e.g. home, cell, or work place).
I'M MORE THAN WILLING TO COMBINE MULTIPLE PURCHASES INTO ONE SHIPMENT WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO. PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO COMBINE MULTIPLE PURCHASES INTO ONE SHIPMENT. PLEASE DO NOT PAY FOR YOUR MULTIPLE PURCHASES UNTIL I CAN MANUALLY COMBINE YOUR ITEMS ONTO ONE INVOICE. OTHERWISE, I MAY BE CHARGED MULTIPLE PAYPAL TRANSACTION FEES.